Friday, August 5, 2011

Feature & Follow Friday (1)





Feature & Follow Friday is a blog hop that expands your blog following by a joint effort between bloggers. Feature & Follow Friday is now hosted by TWO hosts,











Parajunkee's View  and Alison of Alison Can Read. Each host will have their own Feature Blog and this way it'll allow us to show off more new blogs!






Question: Talk about the book that most changed or influenced your life (was it a book that turned you from an average to avid reader, did it help you deal with a particularly difficult situation, does it bring you comfort every time you read it?


Answer: Esperanza Rising was the book I fell in love with. My heart broke and I felt comforted by the ending in a way. I didn't like reading much at age 8, but read it and afterward I became  a converted book lover or yes an avid reader! I was reading and noticed time went by for 8 hours straight and I was still reading. Even grew scared because at the time I didn't know it was possible for people to become engrossed in a book. Imagine my surprise. Then, I spent my life immersed in the literature world.


Abou Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan

Esperanza Ortega possesses all the treasures a young girl could want: fancy dresses; a beautiful home filled with servants in the bountiful region of Aguascalientes, Mexico; and the promise of one day rising to Mama’s position and presiding over all of El Rancho de las Rosas. 
But a sudden tragedy shatters that dream, forcing Esperanza and Mama to flee to California and settle in a Mexican farm labor camp. There they confront the challenges of hard work, acceptance by their own people, and economic difficulties brought on by the Great Depression.  When Mama falls ill from Valley Fever and a strike for better working conditions threatens to uproot their new life, Esperanza must relinquish her hold on the past and learn to embrace a future ripe with the riches of family and community.








                                                    So what's yours?










4 comments:

Jessica (Peace Love Books) said...

I remember reading that book in middle school! It was really good! Great pick!

Here's my FF!

Melissa @ Mel's Books and Info said...

Ryan is a superb author! That is a great pick--I love it when I can get carried away in a book like that. I am now following!

Unknown said...

Hi Cassandra,

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Jodie
http://sidhinews.blogspot.com/

ParaJunkee said...

I've never read that book before. Something I'll have to keep in mind for my little one. Thank you for sharing.


It is nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by and participating. Happy #FF XOXO Parajunkee

Blog Archive

Blog Followers

Disclaimer

Blog Graphics: Pictures aren't owned by me that are found on this blog. Most of them can be found via Google/Bing! images or from author press releases and are in no way used for profit. Credit goes to them entirely.

Reviews: Are not given either positively/negatively based on compensation. Reviews are entirely out of speculative opinion. Put out for readers to ultimately make their decision on a book, movie, and or product. They are honest reviews based on opinion. And ultimately I would never falsify information or exaggerate, given I do not see a benefit in doing so.

Affiliate: The blog is monetized through Amazon's Affiliate Associates Program, The Book Depository's Affiliate Program, YesStyle's Affiliate Program, GoHastings Affiliate Program, and a few other programs best seen through the blog's ads. Every little purchase you make, makes, a huge difference to me as a blogger. Buying through the blog's links gives me a small percentage of commissions. I try exceptionally hard to make the links/ads as unintrusive as possible when viewed on the blog. If they are intrusive, I, do so apologize but still hope you can enjoy the actual written reviews.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...